Sunday, March 9, 2014

Setting up IntelliJ

We chose intelliJ because it seemed like the IDE to use. It's the IDE of the future! This means that learning how to use it will be a valuable skill. The developers of IntelliJ IDEA definitely had Android in mind when making the IDE, which made it seem to us that it would streamline out development process.

The problem is that IntelliJ is relatively new, so there aren't nearly as many tutorials out there for setting it up. This means that anything that we want to use, plugin-wise, has to be figured out without much help. A lot of tutorials out there skip steps, assuming you know what they mean. This is troublesome because it adds a lot of time to setting up basic things, like repositories in the IDE itself.

As frustrating as it is, it helps me learn things better when I have to figure it out myself. I would like to make things faster, but I'm actually learning better so it is probably worth it in the long run. If I ever need to set up things again, I will know exactly what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment