Thursday, March 6, 2014

My Thoughts on Android

We've begun programming our project, Powderade, which is an app for Android OS. This is my first time working with Android, which I am very excited for since the app market is huge. All I had heard from everyone was that Android was just Java, and if I knew Java it would be no problem.

Well, those people were wrong. Android is not "just Java." Certainly, Java is incorporated into the language, and it's important to know. The complex parts of the program are going to be written in Java, but it uses Java more like a script. The program is put together in .xml files, which is something I had never encountered before. It makes assembling the program really strange, since there are a bunch of different files that point to each other for layout purposes. Putting together a GUI in android is certainly not like putting together one in Java.

I'm not saying that it's necessarily more complicated than Java is when it comes to GUIs. The IDE I'm using (IntelliJ IDEA) even comes with a GUI builder that allows you to visually put the GUI together, making the process a little simpler. But what I am saying is, just because you know Java does not mean you know Android. They are very different environments to program in.

I am glad to be working on this, though. I wanted the experience and now I'm getting it. I'm excited to know once we finish this project I will be an Android veteran!

1 comment: